Friday, June 25, 2010

Lo siento!!



I'm so sorry everyone! I've apparently gotten rather lazy about my blogging this week. I guess it's mostly that not a lot of super interesting things have happened thus far. I'll try to write a quick little update here though to hold you guys over until something more interesting happens!

The week started off on a pretty rough note. I was terribly, horribly homesick Monday. To the point that I started crying for basically no reason while I was sitting in my room at the house. Looking back it seems rather pathetic....but I was just feeling super lonely and out of place. I obviously don't fit in with the Mexican culture and that was rather expected...but I realized that I didn't fit in well with the American students either and that's when the loneliness really hit hard. I wanted nothing more than to go back home on Monday. I called poor Nathan sobbing and complaining and he was very, very understanding.

I sucked it up on Tuesday and it turned out to be a MUCH better day. Classes were fine and I even went out and did something that night. One of the girls from MSU invited me to go to the market with her and some of her friends...so we walked around and did a little shopping. Then a group of about 10-15 students went out for coffee and then to see a play at one of the theaters. I can't really say that the play was exceptionally good...but it wasn't bad and it was nice to go out with the group. I don't really think that I'll ever quite "fit" with them...I'm not really a social butterfly and I never have been. I don't drink anymore, so that pretty much puts the bar scene (which is what most of them do in the evenings) out of the picture. I don't dance or go to the gym...so that gets rid of those sorts of activities. I'm basically stuck with a lot of nothing to do...but as long as I manage to get out of the house a couple of times in a week I think I can stick it out for the next 6 and a half weeks. The absolute best thing about Tuesday, however, wasn't going out...it was getting INTERNET!! That's right, we have wireless internet in the house now!! Miracle of miracles!!! I can keep in contact with my family and friends from home via skype, facebook, and e-mail. That has really made all the difference in these last few days!

The group (minus me) that had coffee together


Wednesday and Thursday were pretty much just standard, regular days. Nothing at all of import happened on Wednesday, just went to classes and then back to the house to spend time with the family, read, and catch up online. Thursday my roommate and I went shopping for our host mom's birthday which is June 26 (Saturday) which is rather coincidentally also my mother's birthday! Rather interesting little coincidence in my opinion. Other than that I read for awhile and was on the computer. Obviously there were meals and time spent with the family included in there (I played pictionary with the kids).

Friday (today) we went to the museum "Alhondiga de graniditas" with the whole group here in Guanajuato. It is a location of importance in the history of Mexican independence. Basically where the independence movement got it's start. There are some very beautiful murals there by a Mexican artist José Chávez Morado. There are also prehispanic artifacts as well as rooms dedicated to Mexican Independence and colonial life. Tonight we also have plans to go follow the "estudiantina" which is a group of people who go around the town singing and acting out legends of the city. It should be interesting. This weekend we have plans to go to San Miguel de Allende, a beautiful city near here. We will be staying overnight on Saturday...so I'm sure that I'll have a more interesting blog to write once we get back!

Me in front of the top of the mural

To give you an idea of the size of the mural

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that the week ended much better than it started love. Having the internet I know has been such a huge help!! I love all the pictures of the murals by the way, they are so beautiful, very colorful and just the style in which they were painted makes them so unique! I bet that was really something to see in real life :) I hope this weekend is exciting sweetheart! Remember always that I love you and will be at your side in everything!

    ReplyDelete