Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Study Abroad

  So I'm finally getting around to writing about my study abroad trip. In less than one month, June 13th to be exact, I will be on my way to study in Mexico. I will be living in the city of Guanajuato, Mexico. As you can see from the map below, it is located in Central Mexico. It is a little over 200 miles northwest of Mexico City. It is a rather ideal location to be traveling to right now as far as Mexico is concerned. It is quite a distance away from all of the border violence and it is not too close to Mexico City either.
Guanajuato is a culturally and historically rich city. The roots of Mexico's independence can be traced to Guanajuato and the silver mines in that region have always been rather famous. Much of the architecture in the city comes from the Colonial era and the Spanish influence is very strong. The city is also famous for it's small winding alleys and roads as well as its underground tunnels. 



On a more personal note. I will be part of the CIC Study Abroad Program in Mexico. The program specific information can be found by going to the last link and looking through the website. We will be staying with Mexican families in their homes and I will also be taking 6 credits worth of classes. I could have taken nine, but at this point in time in my college career, I don't think there's any reason to try to do too much. I'd really like to be able to enjoy the adventure a little and not have to worry too much about classes. 

Not sure what else to say at the moment. I am really utterly unprepared for the whole experience and not entirely sure that I'm excited about it...but it's something that I need to do and I'm sure that I'll have lots of great memories when it's over. I think the excitement will start to set in within the next couple of weeks and it should start feeling real soon. After all, I have a lot of preparing to do before I leave!!

No comments:

Post a Comment